Tuesday, May 8, 2012


Blog 8

View from a Broad: Redux

The Deathly Matter of Bullying:

I was able to relate to the message delivered in your blog for several personal reasons.  I'm sure we all have been the victim of bulling at some point and time in our lives.

In elementary school I had several encounters with the “school bullies.”  I was raised in a small town outside of Waco TX, attending an all white school. Being African American during that time, it was to be expected. However, it wasn't called bulling then. It was called discrimination.

After moving to San Antonio in the early 70's and I thought that things would change because we now lived in “the big city”; however, it only got worse.  The kids bullied me on a daily basis for one reason or another. Often it was because my shoes had holes in them or my clothes old or simply because I was poor and black.  I was pushed into the wall in the hall ways after they would walk by and spit on it and being called the “N” word by a group of boys. They would either take my lunch or put something in it to prevent me from eating. I can only think of one time when things got so out of control one of the boy’s parents was called by a teacher (that had enough) requesting a meeting.  After his mother came to the school and listen to my story, she took him home and shaved his head.  She wanted him to see what it was like to be picked and laughed because he looked different.  I never had any problem with him again.

            I agree bullying should be a prosecutable offense.  This should never be allowed regardless. I strongly agree with their parents’ being punished as well but to what level? It’s hard to say.  Often parents are the last to know what their children are doing in school. I truly believe that this is a taught behavior and discipline should start in the home.  Bullying is a serious matter that’s been over looked for a very longtime.

           The only comment I have is you should attach a link of the article about the student who committed suicide would allow the readers see the point of view of his father.  What challenges did his father have to overcome to get the “Anit.bullying Bill” to pass? What should be the punishment be to the bullies? Other than that it was a good blog and an answer to a long time problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment